Friday, June 1, 2012

Trendy vs Modern

So I was watching Rachel Zoe on QVC last night, and I caught her saying something about there being a difference between being trendy, being on trend and being modern. I watched as much as I could until my brain shut off and I woke up on the couch in a stupor, a little drool laden, sometime after midnight. I gleaned enough to get the point though (and Rachel, if you're reading, feel free to comment if i get this wrong) which i believe to be this: Trendy is what is new and buzzing now, and a lot of the time radical and not long lived or sustainable. On Trend is a piece or item you rock with your current wardrobe that is of the moment. Modern is the interpretation of the trend as you see it and its assimilation into your wardrobe. Whew. I find that i like "modern". I'd rather see a pair of leopard print shoes come in and out of my wardrobe, than be stuck with 10 pair of neon bright skinny jeans. Note: If you are the owner of 10 pair of neon skinny jeans, I'm sorry. Anyway, speaking of trendy, i felt like i was ahead of the curve with my nail polishing of late:
 And then i saw all of the pins on Pinterest (feel free to follow me dear reader) about all of the multi-colored manicures, and the new and exciting way to print, paint and pimp out ones nails. And so i went from feeling like i was ahead of the curve to suddenly thinking I'd better glitter up one of these digits because I'm about to fall off of the trend carousel. Oy.


No comments:

Post a Comment